[Gllug] [OT] FRITZ!Box Fon

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Sun Oct 1 19:19:21 UTC 2006

Holger Duerer wrote:

>     KB> Hi guys,
>
>     KB> Just wondering if anyone has used / abused a Fritz!box Fon,
>     KB> and if so - what has the experience been like ?
>
>     KB> A URL to the product I have in mind
>     KB> :<http://www.avm.de/en/Produkte/FRITZBox/FRITZ_Box_Fon/index.html>
>
> I asked about this some time ago (copied below) -- no answer.  It
> seems to be a basically unknown product this side of the channel.  It
> is even hard to find a dealer to sell these in this country let alone
> one selling at a price comparable to e.g. Amazon in Germany (which of
> course don't ship electronics this way).  Subsequently I haven't taken
> the plunge yet and cannot help with any experience report either.

I've used one.  It works fine, but I found it rather limited in how you
could configure it.  It expects to provide all your PABX functionality,
but can do only so much and expects all your VoIP providers to be
outside - not for instance an Asterisk box on your local LAN.

I flogged it on and bought a Linksys PAP2 thing which connects to
Asterisk running on my local server.  This gives me *much* more
flexibility and control.  The only downside is Linksys's crap customer
support.

John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk