[Gllug] Basic Linux training courses. Any suggestions?

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Wed Oct 11 20:12:05 UTC 2006

On Wed 11 Oct, Christopher Hunter wrote:

> Last Friday night, I used a minimal install of Mandriva to recover several
> months worth of documents from a virus-trashed Windows machine.  Of course
> the victim (my brother-in-law) hadn't backed anything up, and was about to
> miss an important deadline....
>
> He's now convinced that AOL isn't a good idea, and Linux is probably the way
> to go, and that backups are essential!  He's been playing around with
> Mandriva in the last few days and finds KDE and Open Office OK to work with.
>
> However, he wants a brief course that he can attend to teach him a little
> basic theory and the rudiments of system administration - no further than
> needed for a serious home user - and wondered if there are any courses near
> to him in Ealing.  Does anyone have any ideas?
>
> Chris

   I live near the eastern edge of L.B. Ealing, (North Acton), but don't
know of anything here. I have spoken to local councillors about Linux and
OSS, but they have shown little interest so far, although one of my new
councillors has two sons involved in programming and using Linux. I have
heard local councillors complain that elderly people rarely have access to
the internet, but when I asked what they intended to do about it the same
councillors disappeared instantly.
   There is the Brunel University, but that would probably want you to sign
up for a complete course. There are Microsoft starter courses in places such
as libraries, but nothing else because there are no GCSE requirements for
OSS.
   A good place to start would be The Linux Documentation System guides. I
use Debian, and have been adding installation hints to a file for new users,
but the LDP guides are fairly comprehensive.

http://www.tldp.org

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk