[Gllug] Open-Xchange virtual appliance on Ubuntu

Simon Morris sm at fsfe.org
Mon Oct 30 23:02:25 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-30 at 09:05 +0000, Jason Johns wrote:
> Good morning and welcome to Monday!
>
> I'm trying to get Open-Xchange's virtual appliance running on a laptop
> running Ubuntu. It starts ok, and i can log in via the shell, but I
> have no idea how to get into the web frontend.

I know nothing about Open-XChange but we can check some basic things
that may help....

> I thought entering the IP returned by ifconfig into my browser would
> do the trick but... no luck.

Does networking in your virtual machine work at all? Can you ping from
the virtual machine to your real machine... are packets going anywhere
at all?

Is the web server ( I think tomcat for open-xchange ) listening on any
port? As root on your virtual machine run:

netstat -nap | less

and page up and down looking to see if there are any processes that look
like your web server. Which port is it running on?

Is the Ubuntu firewall stopping things? try running

/etc/init.d/iptables stop

and attempt to connect

> Interestingly, the keyboard works differently in the Open-xchange
> shell. pressing the '-' button produces the beta symbol. Could this be
> to do with the fact that Open-xchange assumes a German keyboard?

Yep, it probably is.

Have a look in /etc/X11/xorg.conf and see which keyboard layout you are
using.

Mine is:

Section "InputDevice"
  Driver       "kbd"