[Gllug] Linux distro for small memory system

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Tue Oct 31 13:57:36 UTC 2006

On Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 11:53:03AM +0000, - Tethys wrote:
> On 10/30/06, Nix <nix at esperi.org.uk> wrote:
>
> >You are Jim Gettys and I claim my laptop with 512Mb of flash and 128Mb
> >of RAM, an always-on mesh network card, and the world's most peculiar
> >low-power-consumption display device.
>
> :-) Actually, while I don't necessarily agree with the ideals of the
> OLPC project, I do like the work they're doing on reducing bloat. Even
> if the project itself falls flat on its face, the benefits that the
> free software community will get from the work they're doing will have
> made it all worthwhile.

Not only the software either. The work being done on the hardware is
pretty incredible too. The trackpad is the largest produced - being
the same width as the screen, so you can get a 1-1 horizontal mapping
for movement on the trackpad which is really nice - almost like a
graphics tablet in that respect. The display is a thing of beauty
too - the latest prototypes I've seen are awesome. For its absolutely
tiny powerdrain it is by far the brightest LCD display I've seen, and
the funky tricks they do to switch between colour & high resolution
& high contrast greyscale, in hardware no less, are wild. Perhaps the
first laptop you'll actually be able to use in sunlight, consuming
a mere 2-3 watts :-)

Dan.