[Gllug] Ubuntu....

Ryan Cartwright ryan at crimperman.org
Mon Oct 2 12:45:42 UTC 2006

John G Walker wrote:

> On the other hand, I recall reading in a forum I frequent, a post from
> a sysadmin who had replaced Internet Explorer on his users' machines
> with Firefox. However, to avoid confusion, he'd left the IE icon on the
> users' desktops. Double-clicking that now started up Firefox. He was
> emailed by several people after he'd done this to say how much they
> liked the new version of Internet Explorer!

Although it wasn't me that posted (I think), we are in the process of
gradually rolling out Firefox to all desktops. When we do we invariably
replace te default icon with the IE blue e and rename it to "Internet".
We add  the deskcut and spoofstick extensions and switch off the
password remembering feature.

To date most people have asked us two questions - 1. where are my
favourites and 2. why doesn't it remember my passwords. To the first we
explain they are now called Bookmarks and the second we simply explian
the reason we've switched that bit off.

So far not one person has complained they can't use it or it is worse.
Nobody has been unale to open a website they regularly use and people
have started to (shock) remember their intranet passwords and so can now
access it from home without rining us for a reminder each time :o).

--
Ryan Cartwright
http://www.cafamily.org.uk/oss
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk