[Gllug] Connectivity problems

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Mon Oct 16 22:47:26 UTC 2006

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006, Chris Bell spake:
>    There has obviously been plenty of discussion on demon.service, and if
> anyone finds a comparable service advertised at a comparable price there may
> be a mass migration (which could then strain the resources of the other
> orgnisation). Unfortunately, many ISP's are receiving complaints about the
> quality of service actually provided.

Well, I've had no trouble since switching to Zetnet. Sure, it *is* a
little strange to be using a Mancunian/Shetland Island ISP from
Bedfordshire, but the Paul Martin factor is too large to be ignored ;)

>    I have been contemplating registering my own domain name, but I have had
> my demon.co.uk email address since soon after Demon started, and it is known
> by too many old family, friends, and colleagues. I could obtain another
> address, but I could not notify them all about the change.

Ah, you should keep better statistics. My BBDB tracks, for every user,
the groups that user has posted in, and never expires entries from
people who sent me personal email. So it was easy to find people who'd
sent me personal email and triage the list for those who might care :)

>                                                            The best I could
> do would be to retain the Demon address via dial-up, for half what I am now
> paying for broadband.

I did that for two and a half years, getting email via POP3, discarding
the account a year after the last legitimate email was recieved (and
ditching fetchmail with a sigh of relief). My spam volumes dropped by
an order of magnitude when I dropped that account, which was annoying,
but I'm not willing to pay over 150 quid a year for extra spam.

My viewpoint now is that anyone who doesn't know my new address can
damned well google for me. :)

--
`When we are born we have plenty of Hydrogen but as we age our
 Hydrogen pool becomes depleted.'