[Gllug] Ubuntu....

Ryan Cartwright ryan at crimperman.org
Mon Oct 2 19:24:55 UTC 2006

Richard Jones wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 01:45:42PM +0100, Ryan Cartwright wrote:
>> To date most people have asked us two questions - 1. where are my
>> favourites and 2. why doesn't it remember my passwords. To the first we
>> explain they are now called Bookmarks and the second we simply explian
>> the reason we've switched that bit off.
>
> And why do you switch it off?
>
> Rich.
< bit you snipped >
 >> people have started to (shock) remember their intranet passwords and
 >> so can now access it from home without rining us for a reminder each
 >> time :o).

Typos aside I was hoping that would explain it.:o) Officially it's
because it will help people remember their passwords for use when
outside the office.

Colleagues frequently use our Intranet from outside the office and those
who had told IE to remember their passwords kept ringing us to remind
them. The site (deliberately) does not have a password reminder facility
- not *that* many people. We don't let them set their their own
passwords - an even bigger security hole. We won't send passwords via
e-mail so they have to ring us. I know that we've created a rod for our
own backs there.

I am of the opinion that password remembering software is like speed
dial on 'phones - disable it and you remember things better. In general
the feedback we've got on this change of policy is good. People usually
whinge until the third or fourth time they've entered it and then they
remember it. When in the office they need only enter it once as the site
uses sessions to remember them.

Incidentally this is another advantage we've found with Firefox. If the
user opens a second instance of IE and point it at the same site it asks
you for the username/password combo again[1]. Firefox does not and seems
to share it's session info across the various windows.

HTH
Ryan
[1] This is not a document *feature* and I can find no mention of it via
Google but I'm not that bothered as we're switching to Firefox anyway.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk