[Gllug] Dual socket AM2 motherboards?

Martin A. Brooks martin at hinterlands.org
Sun Oct 1 19:10:07 UTC 2006

Mike Brodbelt wrote:
> Don't know about AM2, but doesn't Conroe look like a better platform for
> performance right now? And the next gen Intel graphics looks to be a
> pretty decent performer as well, and you get to avoid the binary only
> junk from nVidia/ATI.

Call me dogmatic, but I've been deliberately avoiding Intel for an awful
long time, and I don't see any real reason to stop doing so.

Yes, Intel currently have the upper hand in highest performance silicon
but that will change.  AMD have bitten huge chunks out of the server
market and, I hope, will continue to do so.   An indicator here is that
Dell, an long time Intel only shop, now have AMD processors in their
desktop range.

When Dell start doing AMB on the server line I will have to seriously
reconsider buying from them again.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk