[Gllug] Dual socket AM2 motherboards?

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Sun Oct 1 21:40:08 UTC 2006

Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> Mike Brodbelt wrote:
>> Don't know about AM2, but doesn't Conroe look like a better platform for
>> performance right now? And the next gen Intel graphics looks to be a
>> pretty decent performer as well, and you get to avoid the binary only
>> junk from nVidia/ATI.
>
> Call me dogmatic, but I've been deliberately avoiding Intel for an awful
> long time, and I don't see any real reason to stop doing so.

Out of curiosity, why? Not that I've got anything against AMD - the
Opteron chips are great, but what's wrong with Intel that you'd feel the
need to avoid them. AFAICT they're one of the better citizens as regards
Linux. We have free drivers for their chipsets, Centrino wireless,
integrated graphics chips, ethernet controllers, and ICH chips - all
supported by documentation from within Intel, and often written by their
engineers.

> Yes, Intel currently have the upper hand in highest performance silicon
> but that will change.  AMD have bitten huge chunks out of the server
> market and, I hope, will continue to do so.

AMD have excellent server chips, and I think the competition benefits us
all - monopolies are demonstrably bad things for consumers. However I
still see no reason to avoid Intel at the moment.

> When Dell start doing AMB on the server line I will have to seriously
> reconsider buying from them again.

Dell however - now there's a company I wouldn't buy from in a hurry.
Appalling tech support, no interest in Linux at all, as much as possible
outsourced to the cheapest bidder....

Mike
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk