[Gllug] Capturing network traffic

Matthew Thompson matt.thompson at actuality.co.uk
Tue Oct 10 19:55:38 UTC 2006

On 10 Oct 2006, at 20:30, Dylan wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I have a Swann DVR4-Net-PLUS which is a DVR for security cameras. I
> was hoping
> that its network functionality would be available through some kind of
> browser interface, but unfortunately it is tied to a client program
> which is
> (unsurprisingly) a Windows application.
>
> I have a dual-boot machine with the control and monitoring s/ware
> installed
> and running, but this is obviously not an ideal solution. I am
> wondering,
> however, if I could arrange to capture the network traffic between
> the DVR
> and the Windows client program. I figure I can introduce a linux
> machine
> configured as a gateway/bridge/router and have it record all the
> relevant
> packets. So, what software might I look at for achieving this? Any
> ideas or

Don't even bother with a linux box as a router.

Place a 100Mb hub on the network with the linux box and the windows
cliant hanging off it.

Install Wireshark (http://www.wireshark.org/ formerly Ethereal) and
use that. That way you can capture exactly what happens and not have
to worry about getting a bridge setup right first.

M at t :o)

--
Matthew Thompson
matt.thompson at actuality.co.uk