[Gllug] Basic Linux training courses. Any suggestions?

Sean Tohill S.Tohill at westminster.ac.uk
Tue Oct 17 23:04:35 UTC 2006

sorry for not replying. i've been busy with work and getting a proposal
for funding finished. i've been filtering gllug emails into a file to read
and deal with next week.

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006, Colin Murphy wrote:

> On Thursday 12 October 2006 10:25, Paul M wrote:
>> On 12/10/06, Sean Tohill <S.Tohill at westminster.ac.uk> wrote:
>>> anyone willing to put together a basic linux course for the next gllug
>>> meeting in a few weeks can have use of a room of debian systems and a
>>> data projector.
>>
>> Whats the timing on this? I've taught these sort of courses before and
>> would be willing to do it, but I'm tied up for the next fortnight and
>> will need to have time to prepare.

i don't think we have a confirmed date for the next meeting, which was
going to be a student and 'newbies' meeting. i have suggested 11th
november. could you have it ready for then? if yes we can offer it as an
incentive to attendees.

> Hopefully someone else, someone more official, may have picked up on your
> reply to Sean about teaching courses at Westminster with/through/for GLLUG.
> I know how these things sometimes get buried, so I'm keen not to see any
> opportunity lost.

i'm not sure of charging people at a gllug event but we could add a basic
linux course to our UOW courses if we have someone willing to teach it.
various options come to mind: 5 weeks, one evening per week; 10 weeks, one
evening per week; one day saturday. i'm not sure what our payment rate is
currently (30-35 pounds?) and how good our marketing is at the moment.
there would need to be a minimum number of attendees but it seems several
group members already know of people wanting to learn.

follow up courses beyond basic level might be useful too.

regards

sean