[Gllug] Extending LVM volumes

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Fri Oct 20 18:07:22 UTC 2006

- Tethys wrote:
> On 10/19/06, Mike Brodbelt <mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Now if I want to extend this, I could of course add another disk, create
>> a PV on it, then use vgextend. However, when I add disks to this
>> machine, the result is that /dev/sdc will get bigger, as this itself is
>> a virtual device presented to the OS layer by a harware RAID controller.
>> I can't see any "pvextend" command, so if I double the size of /dev/sdc
>> one day, how do I extend the volume?
>
> pvresize /dev/sdc

Thanks - that's exactly what I was looking for. I might even have found
it if they'd actually shipped it in Sarge - grrrr. And to add insult to
injury there's no lvm package on backports, so I had to scratch around
for a while to find apt-source that would build happily on amd64. Oh
well, it's fixed now....

If anyone else comes across this little irritation, there's a nice set
of packages at http://blog.blackdown.de/, which rebuild quite easily.

Mike
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk