[Gllug] Basic Linux training courses. Any suggestions?

Ryan Cartwright ryan at crimperman.org
Thu Oct 19 23:12:27 UTC 2006

Mori Sugimoto wrote:
> Simon,
>
> Thank you very much for sharing it with us. I just joined this group about a
> week ago and I think I joined at the right time  :)
>
> But I have a question about this presentation material - I'm pretty
> embarrassed to ask you this, but - how do I open it?..  I thought it's in
> Open Document Format, so I used ooo Impress, but I couldn't open it (the one
> I'm using is version 1.1 on Debian). Has anyone tried opening it?

The files are contained in an archive called a tar-gzip file - like a
zip file in Windows.
To unpack the archive you need to use the following in a shell

$ tar zxvf linuxcourse-0.1.tar.gz

Assuming you didn't save it as a different name. BTW the $ signifies
your prompt so don't type it in. If you prefer a desktop client try
opening the file in ark (KDE) or file-roller (GNOME)[1]

This (the shell command) will unpack them into a  new directory called
"introduction to gnu-linux course". In there you will indeed find a
number of ODF files and the zip file Simon mentioned.

regards
Ryan
[1] apologies if that is inaccurate it's been a long while since I used
GNOME. :o)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk