[Gllug] [OT] VoIP over Wifi / gprs from a mobile / smart pda : http://www.truphone.com

Julian Somers lists at bigpip.com
Mon Oct 16 14:15:06 UTC 2006

On 20:47 Sun 15 Oct     , Leo Hickey wrote:
> Karanbir Singh wrote:
> >A VoIP app for the mobile phones, seems to have some great calling plans
> >to go with it
>
> Does anyone here use VoIP over GPRS? I've never used it, but I assume
> there is some factor which makes it unattractive to use. Last I heard
> T-Mobile were blocking VoIP over GPRS, but Vodafone were allowing it.
> However, in order to protect their voice revenues I assume either the
> quality is poor or the pricing works out uneconomical.

I've tried a couple of times on Vodafone and O2, without success. They
didn't seem to be blocking it, there seemed to be too much latency.
Maybe they are shaping it with QOS; it would be intersting to see if it
works insode a vpn. I'll try it.

Unless you have one of the 3G contracts with huge prepaid monthly data
usage, I don't think it would be economical except perhaps for some
international calls. (The only reason I was trying it was because I have
a gprs-only simcard from work, and was, um, 'curious' as to whether I
could make phone calls with it.

Julian

> --

Julian Somers