[Gllug] Anyone used Amazon EC2 Elastic Compute Cloud (grid computing type thingy)?

Harry harry at mantheakis.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Oct 26 10:00:31 UTC 2006

> That's not really the same thing as Amazon's EC2. Its just another virtual
> hosting provider - the on-demand grid thing they offer is only for virtual
> hosting of websites not dedicated servers... (snip)

Thanks Dan, for elaborating on how EC2 differs from other virtual hosting
solutions.

> Simiarly if you expect a /.'ing you can ramp up your application server / web
> farm for 1 day & then cut it back down to normal size after the rush has gone.
> Normal virtual hosting models just don't offer this kind of on-demand scaling,

Note, however, that the blurb at Mediatemple's site does say...

<quote>
The Grid's on-demand scalability means you'll always be ready for intense
bursts of traffic and the growing audience resulting from your online
success.
</quote>

Harry