[Gllug] Open Source lobbying meeting - UKUUG London Thurs 19th

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Sat Oct 14 11:39:54 UTC 2006

On Sat 14 Oct, t.clarke wrote:

> Personally,  I would think that HMG should be capable of employing all the
> brightest minds and doing things in-house,  but I just can't see it happening.
> And of course MPs / ministers don't get cosy non-exec directorships in due
> course from in-house capabilities!

   The civil service was originally like that, then politicians saw that
"cheaper" alternatives were being offered by commercial organisations (and
objected to the suggestion that civil servants knew better than them).
   Then the bills for all the "extras" started to arrive, all the things
that had been just part of the service before but were no longer to be found
in the small print, and suddenly some of the new long-term commercial
contracts did not look quite so wonderful. No matter, the other lot will
have to deal with that when they are elected.
   At last a politician has echoed what I have said for several years, that
we need a hung parliament which could force politicians to do some real
work. We may not get so many decisions, but that may be a good thing.

--
Chris Bell