[Gllug] Open Source lobbying meeting - UKUUG London Thurs 19th

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Sat Oct 14 09:40:12 UTC 2006

With regard to Government I.T., one has to remember surely that Governments
are basically incapable on managing *anything* properly?
Accordingly,  they will always outsource anything complex, most likely
specify the requirements inadequately and waste vast sums of taxpayers money in
the process.  The likelihood of anyone basing any governmnet I.T. project is,
I reckon, close to zero,  simply because there is more money to be made out of
commercial stuff and the customer is better 'locked in' with commercial stuff.

Personally,  I would think that HMG should be capable of employing all the
brightest minds and doing things in-house,  but I just can't see it happening.
And of course MPs / ministers don't get cosy non-exec directorships in due
course from in-house capabilities!

Tim