[Gllug] Is there any demand for rsync based offsite backup?

Paul Rayner Paul.Rayner at ylemsolutions.com
Tue Oct 31 20:31:15 UTC 2006

On 31 Oct 2006, at 18:40, Jason Clifford wrote:
> I'm giving thought to launching an offsite backup service using
> rsync from
> the client end to a pair of servers at different datacentres.
>
> I already have this service available for Windows users however I'd
> like
> to make it generally available.

> Is this something people might be interested in and, if so, would
> you be
> willing to pay a couple of quid a month for a few hundred MB of
> storage?

I've done this as a favour for a couple of customers when setting
them up little samba/mail/etc servers. After explaining the
imperfections associated with a single, disk based, backup strategy
if they still want it I get them to buy a USB hard disk, copy files
locally then set up an overnight rsync which then emails a log of all
transferred files to them.

There's certainly demand - I've had other people ask me to do this
for them in the past but don't have space to add any more usb disks
in my redbus 1/4 rack, and don't want the liability of running
backups as a business.

My customers generally back up more like 20-30 gig, but only transfer
about 5-50mb per night.

> Jason Clifford
> --
> UKFSN.ORG			Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
> http://www.ukfsn.org/		  up to 8Mb ADSL Broadband from just £14.98
> http://www.linuxadsl.co.uk/		ADSL routers from just £21.98
>
> --
Paul Rayner
Ylem Solutions Ltd ~  4-14 Tabernacle Street, London. EC2A 4LU
Office: 020 7183 2959 ~ Mobile: 07739 143 763 ~
Paul.Rayner at YlemSolutions.com

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk