[Gllug] Advertising the next GLLUG meeting in Universities and Colleges

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Tue Oct 31 16:20:11 UTC 2006

> On Tuesday 31 October 2006 13:50, Alain Williams wrote:
>
>> *You* get a warning because someone else did something wrong!
>> You presumably paid in good faith, so you did not do anything wrong, the
>> innocent victim of someone else's fraud.
>
> Ah but the law says "Ignorance is no defense"

I think it actually says, "Ignorance is no defence", and in any case this
is a mis-application of the rule.

If you buy something in good faith and have no reason to believe there is
anything wrong then that's a perfect defence.  The "Ignorance is no
defence" thing refers to ignorance of the law.  The law requires you to
wear a seat belt when driving.  If you're caught not wearing one then
claiming ignorance of the law is no defence.

> plus we should have smelt a rat
> as they were a good price although if memory serves me right they looked
> pukka (Genuine)

There's no reason why a good price (as long as it's not a silly price)
should indicate that there's something wrong.  Full copies of Microsoft
Office for 2.99 GBP should set alarm bells ringing.  Copies for 300 GBP
instead of 350 GBP (I've no idea whether this is the actual normal retail
price, but let's assume it is) are perfectly feasible.

If you had no reason to believe them to be forged then you've done
absolutely nothing wrong.

John