[Gllug] OT: Mac OS X for a linux user

Simon Morris sm at beerandspeech.org
Thu Sep 7 20:43:09 UTC 2006

On 07/09/06, Tom Haddon <mthaddon at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I guess it all depends what you want from Free Software. I was
> contemplating switching to Mac about a year back, but decided to stick
> with Linux because I felt that it was a little strange to be interested
> in and trying to advocate for alternatives to proprietary OSes when I
> was running one myself. Personally I think Mac is vastly preferable to
> Windows, but that's not saying much.

I think this is an admirable position to take. A lot of Mac users I
know seem to be under the illusion that Apple is a huge advocate of
Free software. I don't really believe this to be the case.

They have been happy to use a lot of software that is released as free
(as is their right of course) but I don't think they've been
exceptional in contributing back into the community. They have
released some bits.

I agree with you that a Mac is better engineered machine both in terms
of software and probably hardware than your average Windows box but I
also agree that trying to move people from Windows to Mac doesn't do a
lot for their freedom.

--
~sm
Jabber: sm at jabber.fsfe.org