[Gllug] OT: Mac OS X for a linux user

Matthew Thompson matt.thompson at actuality.co.uk
Thu Sep 7 19:10:02 UTC 2006

On 7 Sep 2006, at 16:41, Simon Morris wrote:

> Good example is Office software - the choice boils down to Microsoft
> Office, Appleworks or OpenOffice.org. Both OpenOffice for the Mac and
> the Neo-Office port just aren't as graphically pleasing to use as the
> native Aqua ones.

NeoOffice 2.0 is now Aqua based, it's pretty good as it goes. There's
also Apple's iWork suite if you're mostly a word processor and
presentation user. Spreadsheet rumoured to be coming in the next
version. Reasonable price for the software too.

> My guess is that if you buy a Mac and use OS X you'll be agreeing to a
> lot more restrictive licences and paying more for your software.

More than free OSS yes - More than equivalent Windows software, not
necessarily. Mac OS X full is cheaper than WinXP Pro Upgrade, the
iWork and iLife suites are £55 each.

The software I've bought for my Mac I've been impressed with. Things
like BitTorrent clients are available OSS and look good. Other
packages aren't open source but are free and extremely high quality.
There are also some amazingly well put together applications like
Delicious Library - the iSight barcode scanning in it is etremely
clever and workes really well for indexing software, CDs and boks etc.

M at t :o)

--
Matthew Thompson
matt.thompson at actuality.co.uk