[Gllug] OT: Mac OS X for a linux user

Benjamin Donnachie benjamin at py-soft.co.uk
Wed Sep 6 23:47:07 UTC 2006

Jack Bertram wrote:
> Has anyone used OS X in anger?

Yes.  Programming under the GUI is a bit odd at first...

> Is it sufficiently linux-like that I'd be at home with it?

Probably.  The GUI can take a little getting used to, but firing up the
terminal and doing everything in CLI works just as you'd expect.

> Does running CrossoverMac work well?

Don't know about that...

> Can you run the normal X or Gnome programs that I'm familiar with on the desktop
> without fiddling too much?

X works okay so, in theory, you should be able to get Gnome to work.
However, native Mac OS X alternatives tend to run better.

> As a veteran CLI user, it's a slightly scary prospect moving to Mac but
> it might be worth it for the gorgeous screen and the lack of boxes under
> the table...

I tend to use the CLI for most things and I wouldn't be without my iBook
 now! :)

Ben
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk