[Gllug] Recommendations for an IMAP server

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Thu Sep 21 07:44:37 UTC 2006

> Am Mi, 20.09.2006, 17:02, schrieb Benjamin Donnachie:
>> Martin A. Brooks wrote:
>>> cyrus
>>
>> Agreed.  I've never had any problems with cyrus and it comes with sieve
>> - a fairly decent server side email filter.
>>

> i also recommend cyrus-imapd with server-side sieve-filtering

After several recommendations, I've set up a test installation of Cyrus to
try it out.  It doesn't seem too hard to get set up on Debian, because
it's all pre-packaged and then comes with step-by-step instructions.  I've
hit one oddity though - it seems to insist on all folders being
sub-folders of the original "Inbox".  It doesn't seem to be possible to
have folders alongside "Inbox" at the same level.  Is this normal?

I suspect I may go with one of the simpler options.  I have an existing
uw-imapd installation which I need to migrate and Cyrus doesn't seem to
have any migration tools, unlike one of the others.  If I were planning to
have 250,000 users then it might be worth it, but with just 4 it's
probably overkill.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk