[Gllug] BBC + Web 2.0 + Microsoft = uh oh ...

John G Walker johngwalker at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Sep 29 14:11:46 UTC 2006

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 11:07:05 +0100 Simon Morris
<simon.morris at cmtww.com> wrote:

> I don't object at all to the BBC partnering with a large technology
> partner (even if it is Microsoft) to deliver these kinds of services
> but I do object strongly to the fact that people will be excluded from
> accessing the content based on their choice of Operating System.
>
> This also goes deeper in that the bottom line is that you can only
> access BBC content if you are a Microsoft licence payer (or have full
> access to BBC content) which has financial impact for underprivileged
> families in the UK.
>
> In this case Microsoft are the wrong people for the job - they don't
> deliver effective cross-platform solutions. The information that will
> be generated will be forever locked in a file format that is
> controlled by a foreign corporation

These three paragraphs are beautiful as the core of a letter to the
Beeb. All you need is a first paragraph on the lines of "I note with
concern that...", to focus the mind of the reader, and a final
paragraph urging the BBC to adopt a cross-platform solution,

--
 All the best,
 John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk