[Gllug] Photo printing has gone all green

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Wed Sep 27 10:03:29 UTC 2006

On Tue 26 Sep, Mike Brodbelt wrote:

> John Winters wrote:

> > I just went to print off a photo which I've printed before and there
> > seemed to be new options in the Gimp printing dialogue.  I tried to
> > print as before but everything comes out with a green tinge, like a
> > cheap picture postcard.  The previous print of the same photograph (done
> > on the same printer) manages to give really faithful colour
> > re-production, but this one to my eye is just dreadful.
>
> That's interesting. I have an Epson RX620, which is an all in one device
> that used the R300 print engine. Prints from Gutenprint have a distinct
> green tinge, IMO. I've filed bugs on this before, but they relatively
> recently re-adjusted the colour matching, and the developers seem to
> think that colour is sufficiently subjective that they'll never manage
> to make al users happy anyway, so you should adjust the balance manually
> if you want.
>
> > Anyone any idea what might have made everything go green?
>
> Maybe your previous print was off a version before the balance was
> re-adjusted.
>
> You could moan at the Gutenprint guys, but I think this is unlikely to
> get fixed until GIMP 2.4 comes along, and you can actually use a colour
> managed workflow properly. Sadly, Linux can't hold a candle to Photoshop
> on that other platform today, if you actually care about colour
> reproduction.
>
> Mike

   This problem could be the result of scanning using the wrong variety of
flourescent lights.

   I know a printer who has already managed to get printing and printer
drivers sorted properly on one platform (Acorn) and intends to do the same
with Linux drivers. He is not a programmer, but does know the quality
printing systems well enough to point developers in the right direction,
then test and report the results.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk