[Gllug] Thoughts on Scalix

Dani Pardo jiffier at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 15:30:32 UTC 2006

On 9/27/06, Morfidus <morfidus at googlemail.com> wrote:
> I don't think I explained myself incorrectly, I am looking for the
> opinion of somebody who was experience with Scalix only.
>
>  Bosses won't let me play with integrating bits and bobs, they want a
> "fully integrated package" (their double speak)  and the "ability of
> restoring mail in the way Exchange+Outlook does it", which I guess
> could be easily done with imap.

 I don't know your boss the way you do, but I'd say that all
alternatives will just seem poor to him, because he's almost already
convinced that Exchange is what he "needs". So you won't win offering
alternatives.

  Instead, give him a serious study of cost. If you want Exchange,
you'll have to pay for an AD sever too, and a AD backup server too.
Sum prices, licenses, maintenances and show that paper sheet full of
zeros to you boss. Ah, of course, don't forget that you'll need a
backup utility, like Arcserve or such. Windows server comes with that
crappy portal that may require an SQL server too. That means hirirng
more people, and training. You'll need a MS certified (monkey? :)

   Anyway, you get the idea. It worked for me.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk