[Gllug] Thoughts on Scalix

paul at ma1.se paul at ma1.se
Wed Sep 27 15:49:38 UTC 2006

Dani Pardo wrote:

> On 9/27/06, Morfidus <morfidus at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> I don't think I explained myself incorrectly, I am looking for the
>> opinion of somebody who was experience with Scalix only.
>>
>>  Bosses won't let me play with integrating bits and bobs, they want a
>> "fully integrated package" (their double speak)  and the "ability of
>> restoring mail in the way Exchange+Outlook does it", which I guess
>> could be easily done with imap.
>>

> I don't know your boss the way you do, but I'd say that all
> alternatives will just seem poor to him, because he's almost already
> convinced that Exchange is what he "needs". So you won't win offering
> alternatives.
>
>  Instead, give him a serious study of cost. If you want Exchange,
> you'll have to pay for an AD sever too, and a AD backup server too.
> Sum prices, licenses, maintenances and show that paper sheet full of
> zeros to you boss. Ah, of course, don't forget that you'll need a

Possibly, but a number of hosting outfits now offer "Hosted Exchange"
(1&1 for example) so it could possibly be outsourced for quite a low
monthly cost.

Not particularly wishing to promote Exchange, but then again better to
present alternatives rather than shooting oneself in the foot with scary
figures.

Regards

Paul Lee
www.ma1.se