[Gllug] server sleeping

Casper Gasper casper.gasper at gmail.com
Sat Sep 9 19:20:33 UTC 2006

On 09/09/06, Nix <nix at esperi.org.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Sep 2006, Mike Brodbelt stated:
> > Casper Gasper wrote:
> >> No, it appears to lock up so quickly there doesn't appear to be any
> >> mention of a problem.  Someone suggested clamav b0rks on large files,
> >> and I know there are 1GB+ files on the machine, so I may try and
> >> disable scanning over a certain size, see if that helps.
> >
> > Why not try running clamav with restrictive ulimit settings, to precent
> > it killing the machine?
>
> Is there any sign that it's OOMing? Casper said that it went from a 15Mb
> VSZ (RSS?) to dead; no mention of swapping or anything.

  No; just to follow up, the idea that clamav can't scan files bigger
than ram+swap is bollocks, and I finally identified the crashing as a
hardware issue.  The problem was the box was so lightly loaded that
the only thing that thrashed the disk was the weekly AV scan.  It
seemed to be 15 minutes of continuous activity was enough to hang it.
I tried:

 dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/null

and that kills it too.

Casper.