[Gllug] Monolith - muddying the waters of the digital copyrig ht debate

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Thu Sep 14 12:16:48 UTC 2006

On Wed, Sep 13, 2006 at 12:18:28PM +0100, Ryland, Peter wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-09-09 at 20:34 +0100, Andy Smith wrote:
> >         Of course, all copyrighted work ever created or that ever will
> >         be
> >         created exists somewhere as an offset and length in the digits
> >         of
> >         pi, so every time we exchange two numbers we are dicing with
> >         piracy.
>
> Sounds like a pretty good compression method to me.

The offset number is likely to be a very long number, so it doesn't
make much sense as a compression method ...

... unless you can store the offset in an analogue medium.  For
example, if you have very accurate measuring equipment and a
convenient disregard for quantum physics, then you can store large
numbers as the distance between two things.  Example, if the distance
between two atoms is 0.98765432100000 inches, then the number encoded
is 123456789.  To store larger numbers, you need more accurate
measurement.  (Getting the atoms to stay at the precise distance from
each other is left as an exercise for the reader).

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, CTO Merjis Ltd.
Internet Marketing and AdWords courses - http://merjis.com/courses - NEW!