[Gllug] LinuxDoc / DocBook Documentation Writting

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Thu Sep 14 19:14:24 UTC 2006

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006, Tom Schutzer-Weissmann announced authoritatively:
> What you're saying is that it's ok to glue these two forms together and
> use the same "going" in two completely separate senses at once, where
> it's both an action and isn't:
>
> "She's going to London and talk on global warming."
>
> You can't! It's clearer if you switch the subject to the first person:
>
> "I'm going to London and talk on global warming."

Indeed. Analogous forms are fine but you can't put them together,
or at least I can't:

  I'm going to London
  I'm going to London and Edinburgh
  I'm going to London and then Edinburgh
  I'm going to talk on global warming
  ??I'm going to London and talk on global warming
  ??I'm going to London and then talk on global warming

Hm, but apparently some people see nothing wrong with it:
<http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/003106.html>.

--
`In typical emacs fashion, it is both absurdly ornate and
 still not really what one wanted.' --- jdev
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk