[Gllug] USB -> serial converters

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Sun Sep 3 22:51:34 UTC 2006

Mike Brodbelt writes:

>I'd like to but a USB to serial converter. I want to be able to connect
> my laptop to various serial kit, mostly Cisco network hardware, and Sun
>and Linux machines. I've never bought one of these before, and I've no
>idea what the support is like, apart from seeing a list of hardware in
>the kernel configuration - but I'm sure there must be at least a few
>people on this list that use console cables with some regularity :-).

Indeed. After being somewhat horrified to find my laptop didn't have a
serial port, and needing one in a hurry, I just bought a cheap unbranded
one from the local computer shop around the corner, and hoped it would
work. Fortunately, it did, without any problems whatsoever. It identifies
itself as:

Bus 001 Device 015: ID 067b:2303 Prolific Technology, Inc. PL2303 Serial Port

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk