[Gllug] Thoughts on Scalix

Morfidus morfidus at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 27 16:15:46 UTC 2006

 They have changed a lot since the previous time I looked, about a
year ago. The most interesting thing is that on the fully free version
you are allowed up to 25 premium users.
Runs on Fedora Cora 5, and also on the commercial RHEL and Suse .

And includes the Outlook Connector and all the groupware functionality
of the SMB and Entrerprise.

What you pay for in the SMB and Enterprise is the "advanced server
staff", like load balancing/fail over, MS AD capabilty and other staff
that quite blantly is not going to matter to companies with a handfull
or two of Oulook junkies.

If you are still remotely interested on it have a look at the website.
They have released code under the Mozilla License but I am not sure
what they keep.

On 27/09/06, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
> Morfidus wrote:
> > One of the directors has his hands on a few other companies and says
> > that a support company he uses could do it for about a grand (MS SMB
> > business server??) to get it up and running. But then I would have to
> > keep it going.
> >
> > I quite like my odds of getting scalix, but I have been on their
> > website and I prefer to have the opinion of a real admin.
>
> w.r.t cost - you might want to check the feature list, a few of the more
>   desirable features were semi-limited or against not-insignificant
> cost, the last time I looked.
>
> personally. I've used scalix - its a nice clean setup, its not trivial
> to either setup or maintain, but is much easier than most other systems
> of the same nature, including Zimbra and hula.
>
> And Scalix seems to be making the right kind of sounds, w.r.t open
> sourcing more of their product - but till they can deliver a fully
> usable stack, completely open source. I am not going to recommend it to
> anyone.
>
> --
> Karanbir Singh : http://www.karan.org/ : 2522219 at icq
> --