[Gllug] Converting ApplixWare documents

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Sun Sep 24 11:13:59 UTC 2006

I've just spent a couple of hours solving a problem.  I was about to
post a query here asking if anyone knew how to do it when I found the
answer, so I thought I'd post the answer just for the record and in case
it is of use to anyone else.

I used to use ApplixWare for all my word-processing and so have a lot of
documents in ApplixWare format.  Unfortunately OpenOffice doesn't
understand it, and whilst it can be sucked in as text, manually stripped
  of all the embedded formatting information and then re-formatted, this
is tedious and time consuming.  As far as I can tell, ApplixWare won't
install on current Linux distributions and all the tools I could find
for conversion are commercial Windows products.

I was about to ask if anyone knew of a way when I found one.  KWord
(part of the KOffice suite) will read ApplixWare files and save Open
Document files.  Simple when you know; very useful if you don't.

Cheers,
John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk