[Gllug] VOT: Family Cars

Ryan Cartwright ryan at crimperman.org
Wed Sep 20 12:16:56 UTC 2006

Steve Nelson wrote:
> Chaps,
>
> Given the concentration of wise and brilliant people on this list,
> permit me to throw out an utterly off-topic question?
>
> I need to replace my car (Escort).  I have to transport 3 children
> under 5 and, including the driver, 2 adults.  Currently when we have
> to do this, we borrow a relative's MPV which has 3 3-point seatbelts
> in the back.
>
> Restricting choice to large-estate-type cars (for budget and style
> reasons), what experiences/ideas/recommendations do folk have for
> safely and legally transporting three children in the back?  Any
> recommendations on vehicles also welcome.

Hi Steve,

You may already know this - indeed it may be why you are asking - but
the law [1] has just (Monday) changed and now states that for all
children "from 3rd birthday up to 135cms in height (or 12th birthday
whichever they reach first) [a] correct child restraint must be used.
... 'Child restraints' is the collective term in the seat belt wearing
legislation for baby seats, child seats, booster seats and booster
cushions".

It's a £30 fine if you're the driver and they're not using 'child
restraints'.

This may limit your options in terms of physically fitting three child
seats across the back of an average estate.

That said the same advice also says "..if a car has 3 seat belts in the
rear, and 2 occupied child seats or boosters prevent the fitting of a
third, a third child 3 years or over may then use an adult belt in the
rear. If there is room, it would be safer for the third child to travel
in the front seat and use the correct child seat or booster." allowing
for front seat airbag issues. So, with at least one over 3, that may help.

Doesn't help me (two under 3). We have a Vectra (hatchback) which does
not fit two child-seats and a slim adult in the back and no chance of
getting a third safety-seeat in there. So - for us - another baby will
mean a new car.

Some friends have estates which comfortably fits three across but all of
them are of the large family car class - bigger than a Vectra, sorry
can't remember the models (I know two have Toyotas).

The only other advice I can give is to check that your current
safety-seats will fit in the new car. Some models of car have rear sets
belt arrangements which limit your options regarding child-safety seats.
We can only buy one or two types of safety-seat.

Sorry - probably more info than you wanted to know :o)

Hope it helps anyway
Ryan

--
Ryan Cartwright