[Gllug] OT : adsl line connection speeds

Minty mintywalker at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 09:55:16 UTC 2006

Quick sanity check questions:

* my adsl modem reports downstream connection speed of ~5000 kbits/sec
* various ISP approved [1] line speed testing tools report download
speed of 1000-2000 kbits/sec

Is it safe to assume:

* I'll never see download speeds == modem connect speed
* But I should be seeing download speeds well over 2000 kbits/sec
* What I'm seeing is about in line with a good 2Mbit adsl package

I'm not fussed about squeezing every last drop out of the line speed,
but it seems silly to be paying for "8"Mbit adsl package, if all I'm
getting is 2Mbit.

[1] involves changing modem connection settings, going to a bt test
page, this apparently tests the bt part (typically 2000kbits/sec
speeds).  Then reconnecting with my ISP settings and repeating, which
apparently tests bt+isp (typically around 1000kbit/sec), then using a
regular "download some files and test" website (typically reports
1500-2000kbit/sec).
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk