[Gllug] OT : adsl line connection speeds

Anthony Newman anthony.newman at ossified.net
Mon Sep 11 10:07:51 UTC 2006

Minty wrote:
> Is it safe to assume:
>
> * I'll never see download speeds == modem connect speed
> * But I should be seeing download speeds well over 2000 kbits/sec
> * What I'm seeing is about in line with a good 2Mbit adsl package

How long have you been on 8Mbit? If it's less than 2 weeks or so you
won't see full speeds as there is rate limiting during the line
characterisation process.

You should ultimately be able to achieve a download rate close to the
line sync speed. Contention will most likely limit that to some variable
amount below that. I had early experience with the (resold) BT 8Mb
product, which was obviously heavily contended in comparison with a
previous slower service, presumably as it was rolled out countrywide
practically overnight.

Ant
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk