[Gllug] SpamAssassin falling behind

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Fri Sep 1 10:41:23 UTC 2006

On Fri, Sep 01, 2006 at 11:31:01AM +0100, John Winters wrote:
> When I first installed SpamAssassin it seemed to be pretty good at picking
> up all my spam without any false positives.  As time has gone on though it
> seems to have fallen behind.  I now get a significant percentage of spam
> slipping under SA's guard (especially stock tips).
>
> Thunderbird is shit-hot and picks up everything, AFAICS pretty much
> infallibly, but SA seems to have developed mould or something.
>
> Is there anything I need to do to SA on a regular basis to keep it up to
> speed?
>
> The platform is Debian Sarge, fully patched up to date.

Have you had a look at the headers to see what spamassassin
is scoring ?

Recently a lot of spam has been sent to foul up filter and
try to add addresses to auto-whitelists.

Once you have identified spam use 'spamassassin -R' to remove
address from the auto-whitelist and 'sa-learn --spam' and train
the Bayesian filter. Of course, this is easier with a command
line program, but you could dump all spam into an mbox and then
regularly run the above programs with the '--mbox' option.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk