[Gllug] Debian Sarge security updates

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Thu Sep 28 22:54:44 UTC 2006

Hello,
   I have done a security update to Sarge using "aptitude" which included an
update to the 2.6.8 kernel. All appeared to go well after the reboot, so I
continued to update some other boxes.
   I have just checked for any further security updates, and each box shows
a couple of updated packages available plus a large number of important base
packages to be removed. I can understand the old kernel being listed for
deletion, but not all the rest, more a series of updates to later versions.
   I quit aptitude and rebooted again, but no change.
   I normally use a local apt-proxy mirror, so quit aptitude again, edited
the sources.list to include an official mirror site, re-booted and ran
aptitude again, no difference.
   I feel that I should hold the majority of the packages, remove the old
kernel, then repeat the process.
   Has anyone else found a problem?

   Thanks for any advice.

--