[Gllug] Debian Sarge security updates

Paul Cupis paul at cupis.co.uk
Thu Sep 28 23:46:03 UTC 2006

Chris Bell wrote:
> Hello,
>    I have done a security update to Sarge using "aptitude" which included an
> update to the 2.6.8 kernel. All appeared to go well after the reboot, so I
> continued to update some other boxes.
>    I have just checked for any further security updates, and each box shows
> a couple of updated packages available plus a large number of important base
> packages to be removed. I can understand the old kernel being listed for
> deletion, but not all the rest, more a series of updates to later versions.
>    I quit aptitude and rebooted again, but no change.

Do you want to share the output of the program so we can see
specifically what you are seeing?

Also, can we see the contents of /etc/apt/source.list, /etc/apt/apt.conf
and /etc/apt/preferences (and any interesting files in
/etc/apt/apt.conf.d) ?

>    I normally use a local apt-proxy mirror, so quit aptitude again, edited
> the sources.list to include an official mirror site, re-booted and ran
> aptitude again, no difference.
>    I feel that I should hold the majority of the packages, remove the old
> kernel, then repeat the process.
>    Has anyone else found a problem?

Just to confirm, you've been running apt-get update after editting the
sources.list?

I cannot confirm seeing any similar problems with any "sarge" machines
after recent updates.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk