[Gllug] Re: Anti-DRM event in Central London today!

Leo Hickey hickey444 at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Sep 30 09:20:20 UTC 2006

I haven't thought too much about the subject before, but I am persuaded
by the anti-DRM argument. I disagree that the Lessig presentation that
you pointed to is a good introduction to the argument. The examples he
gives are really more about licensing issues than consequences of DRM
technology (and those slide sequences with one word on each slide are
extremely annoying). Frankly, if they made remixing manga cartoons
punishable by life imprisonment I really wouldn't care. The whole thing
about companies abusing DRM for anti-competitive practices and being
unable to play your content on future devices is way, way more
convincing an argument IMO, but Lessig does not address this in this
presentation.

> What about the effect DRM could have on Free Software? Are you as
> likely to accept DRM if it means that Firefox on Windows won't run?

Again, this is a much more solid argument, and frankly I don't see the
counter argument, so if anyone can tell me why MS should be allowed to
use DRM for this kind of thing I would be interested.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk