[Gllug] Re: Anti-DRM event in Central London today!

Simon Morris sm at beerandspeech.org
Sat Sep 30 08:37:42 UTC 2006

On 29/09/06, Simon Morris <sm at beerandspeech.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> A reminder that there is a DefectiveByDesign.org event outside of the
> Apple Store tomorrow starting at 1400.

I want to fork this discussion...

For those who are in favour of DRM technology for creative works of
art (Images, documents, music, video) can I ask you this.

[ By the way, I respect the opinions of those who are opposed to
todays demonstration.. all the points that have been made so far have
been well put and have weight behind them ]

What about the effect DRM could have on Free Software? Are you as
likely to accept DRM if it means that Firefox on Windows won't run? Or
that you can only run binaries that are authorised by Microsoft.

Or even worse, DRM restrictions that only allow Microsoft Windows to
be run on Dell computers which is enforced at a BIOS level.

Do you see todays DRM restrictions which are aimed at the application
level (DVD players, CD players) as a threat to your right to run
GNU/Linux in the future if they go unchecked?

Thanks! I'm currently thinking about the best way to get all of these
leaflets and placards into Central London :/

--
~sm
Jabber: sm at jabber.fsfe.org
www: http://beerandspeech.org