[Gllug] Initial TERM setup on Debian Sarge

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Sun Sep 3 20:48:12 UTC 2006

Hi,

Does anyone know how Debian sets up the initial value of $TERM on the
console? I have a machine running Sarge that throws an error on boot, as
when console-screen.sh runs it tries to invoke vt-is-UTF8. This fails
because $TERM is not set when it runs. I end up with $TERM set to "dumb"
after login, which is irritating.

The only unusual thing about the boot sequence of the machine is that
it's using an initramfs, but everything else is working fine, and wading
through shell scripts in /etc/init.d isn't bringing me any joy at the
moment ....

Mike
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk