[Gllug] Photo printing has gone all green

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Tue Sep 26 21:50:40 UTC 2006

John Winters wrote:
> I've been using an Epson Stylus Photo R300 for some time to print photos
> and getting very good results.  I haven't done any photos for perhaps 6
> months (although the printer has been used and the ink nozzles aren't
> blocked - I've checked).
>
> I just went to print off a photo which I've printed before and there
> seemed to be new options in the Gimp printing dialogue.  I tried to
> print as before but everything comes out with a green tinge, like a
> cheap picture postcard.  The previous print of the same photograph (done
> on the same printer) manages to give really faithful colour
> re-production, but this one to my eye is just dreadful.

That's interesting. I have an Epson RX620, which is an all in one device
that used the R300 print engine. Prints from Gutenprint have a distinct
green tinge, IMO. I've filed bugs on this before, but they relatively
recently re-adjusted the colour matching, and the developers seem to
think that colour is sufficiently subjective that they'll never manage
to make al users happy anyway, so you should adjust the balance manually
if you want.

> Anyone any idea what might have made everything go green?

Maybe your previous print was off a version before the balance was
re-adjusted.

You could moan at the Gutenprint guys, but I think this is unlikely to
get fixed until GIMP 2.4 comes along, and you can actually use a colour
managed workflow properly. Sadly, Linux can't hold a candle to Photoshop
on that other platform today, if you actually care about colour
reproduction.

Mike
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk