[Gllug] Can's see Linux RAID partitions after board swap

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Thu Sep 14 00:13:08 UTC 2006

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006, John Edwards stipulated:
> And then start the RAID array:
> 	mdadm -A /dev/md0 /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1
>
> You may find that udev does not create the /dev/md0 device, in
> which case use /dev/.static/dev/md0 for the first RAID command.

... or pass --auto to md0.

(If the array is degraded you're stuffed because it's only RAID-0 so
there is no meaningful degraded mode. RAID-0 personally strikes me as
being about as safe as having LVM VGs spanning multiple physical disks
without RAID-based redundancy, because if you lose *any* disk you've
lost the lot, and my faith in the reliability of disks has taken some
severe knocks over the last year... something about losing four disks in
a year after 15 years with no failures has made me a real *convert* to
RAID as well as backups.)

--
`In typical emacs fashion, it is both absurdly ornate and
 still not really what one wanted.' --- jdev
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk