[Gllug] Can's see Linux RAID partitions after board swap

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Mon Sep 11 14:54:22 UTC 2006

On Mon, Sep 11, 2006 at 02:58:02PM +0100, Garry Heaton wrote:
> I built an office server using Centos 4.1 with a 2-disk Linux software RAID
> 0 array which was fine until I noticed a problem with the mother board.
> Swapped the motherboard hoping I could use the Centos disk in rescue mode or
> Knoppix to reload Grub but neither detects the original /dev/md0. All that
> can be seen is the /boot partition. Any ideas?

I've had a few problems with Knoppix 5 detecting Linux software
RAID arrays that were is a degraded state.

I had to load the RAID modules:
	modprobe raid1

And then start the RAID array:
	mdadm -A /dev/md0 /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1

You may find that udev does not create the /dev/md0 device, in
which case use /dev/.static/dev/md0 for the first RAID command.

| A. Because it breaks the logical sequence of discussion |
| Q. Why is top posting bad ?                             |
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk