[Gllug] server sleeping

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Thu Sep 14 14:28:23 UTC 2006

On Thu, Sep 14, 2006 at 01:02:42AM +0100, Nix wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Sep 2006, t. clarke wrote:
> > Silly question possibly  -  but have you tried running Memtest86 on the machine?
> > a dodgy chip can cause all sorts of problems with the machine gets busy and uses
> > up all its RAM!
>
> In my experience a good few GCC bootstraps can find memory and CPU
> faults that a memtest86 can easily miss.

In large SMP machines that typically won't stress things enough because
it won't utilize enough resources strenuously enough. Last time I did stress
tests I used a combination of things. Given a N logical cpu machine, used N
copies of IOZone each doing IO in sizes > physical RAM (ensuring kernel VM
can't cache all the IO), N parallel kernel compiles (to ensure the schedular
had lots & lots of processes to move around between CPUs), and N copies of
a program doing a memory bandwith test (to max out the entire memory sub-
system). That could normally kill the faulty boxes in a couple of hours
with ECC errors, or just a spontaneous reboot :-)

Dan.