[Gllug] LinuxDoc / DocBook Documentation Writting

Tom Schutzer-Weissmann trmsw at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Sep 14 14:13:07 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-09-14 at 14:13 +0100, John G Walker wrote:

> It's meaningful to me. Possibly the difference between us is how we
> imagine the context.

Our main difference is whether or not "I'm going to London and talk on
global warming" is grammatical. My point was that it is not grammatical.

As to context, in the context of speaking to someone who has problems
with grammar we can all try and guess the sense of nonsense: as a
language learner and teacher I have do it all the time.

> Do you imagine that software can
> cope with grammar? How would it possibly cope with the difference in
> opinion between us regard the "go and do" construction, never mind
> more complex stuff?

It's not inconceivable that you get software that could be configured to
correspond more closely to your pet hates - perhaps different modes:
Lynn Truss mode, Fowler mode, grammaticaster mode...

I'll believe it when I see it, of course.

Regards,
Tom SW

Inbox full of spam? Get leading spam protection and 1GB storage with All New Yahoo! Mail. http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk