[Gllug] LinuxDoc / DocBook Documentation Writting

John G Walker johngwalker at tiscali.co.uk
Thu Sep 14 08:40:01 UTC 2006

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 01:45:01 +0100 Nix <nix at esperi.org.uk> wrote:

> As for grammar checking, don't bother: no grammar checker out there is
> worth anything.

True.

> e.g. try feeding in the grossly incorrect sentence
>
>   She's going to London and talk on global warming

This is perfectly correct colloquial English, where to "go and do
something"  means to "go to do something". I bet you use the
construction all the time in your everyday conversation.

> Humans, any humans, are far better at grammar than any computer built
> to date. Don't fob this job off on machines. They can't do it.
>
> And if you have a really document to work on, let someone else
> proofread it. Let *them* be your grammar checker. (That last sentence
> would be flagged as grammatically incorrect by some idiot
> prescriptivists and even more idiot grammar checkers: singular
> `they', you see.)

Absolutely spot on.

> (I know there are language geeks on this list --- far more
> knowledgeable language geeks than I: I expect they agree but I'd not
> venture to assume that.)

I agree absolutely with the main thrust of your argument. But the
grammatical correct construction her is "than me". English hasn't
completely got rid of cases yet :)

--
 All the best,
 John