[Gllug] Thoughts on the breadth of Free Software

John G Walker johngwalker at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Sep 13 16:58:06 UTC 2006

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 14:12:19 +0100 "Dan Stevens (IAmAI)"
<dan.stevens.iamai at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've got my final year of university coming up and as a result, I have
> to start thinking about my dissertation. I'm aspiring to develop
> something to become ultimately free software that might be useful to
> at least some people.

Aspire to do something that'll teach you a lot and will impress the
marker with how much you've learned.

Believe me, what you produce for a dissertation might seem great while
you're doing it, but, in a year's time, it'll seem well below your
capabilities. You might stop working at the end of the year, but your
brain will keep working subconsciously on the problem.

By all means get ideas from the list and do something interesting.
But be prepared to throw your work all away and start again when the
course has ended,

--
 All the best,
 John