[Gllug] silent bootup

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Sun Sep 10 09:26:58 UTC 2006

salsaman wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am working on an embedded system which needs to boot up as silently as
> possible - i.e. minimal output on the console.
> Is there a way to stop the output of the normal bootup messages on
> system start ?

You can send the console somewhere else - e.g. to a serial port by
passing the appropriate command line to the kernel. I suspect you could
even send it to /dev/null, though I've not tried this. You can also have
a console driver take over the console - look at
Documentation/console/console.txt. I suppose you could write you own
small console driver that takes over the console, and suppresses output.
You could have it re-enable output on a hotkey or something, for debugging.

> I'm also getting some little "penguin" images at the top of the screen -
> it's not the splash screen, which I have disabled. While very cute for a
> desktop system, they are not so cute on an embedded machine. I've not
> been able to find out how to get rid of those either.

You get 1 penguin per processor (or core), if you boot with a
framebuffer console. There's a "logo" configuration section in the
kernel config (Device Drivers/Graphics Support/Logo Configuration) where
you can remove the penguin if you like.

Mike

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk